Distributing Python virtual environments

Malcolm Greene python at bdurham.com
Thu Mar 29 10:06:00 EDT 2018

We're using virtual environments with Python 3.6. Since all our pip
installed modules are in our environment's local site-packages folder,
is the distribution of a virtual environment as simple as recursively
zipping the environment's root folder and distributing that archive to
another machine running the same OS and same version of Python? The
reason we would go this route vs downloading dependencies from a
requirements.txt file is that the target machines may be in a private
subnet with minimal access to the internet.