please test the new PyPI (now in beta)

sumana.harihareswara at gmail.com sumana.harihareswara at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:50:35 EDT 2018

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 6:03:27 AM UTC-4, Paul  Moore wrote:

> Digging into this further, the design work on the Warehouse site has
> been ongoing since late 2015, and there was an extensive user testing
> phase, so honestly, I think it's too late to be arguing that the site
> design is a problem now. One of the design goals was to integrate
> better with the python.org website, so if you don't like the blue
> theme, you should probably take it up with them first :-)

I'll give a bit of context on PyPI's new visual design, then talk about specific concerns folks have mentioned in this thread.

The codebase behind the new PyPI is called "Warehouse". Donald Stufft started the project and volunteers have been working on it for a while. Some history: https://www.pypa.io/en/latest/presentations/

Designer and frontend developer Nicole Harris started contributing to Warehouse http://whoisnicoleharris.com/warehouse/ as a volunteer several years ago, assessing legacy PyPI, articulating design goals, and starting an overhaul. http://whoisnicoleharris.com/2015/12/31/designing-warehouse-an-overview.html has her assessments and plans from that time. She's doing further user tests right now http://whoisnicoleharris.com/2018/03/13/user-testing-warehouse.html to get more data on what users have trouble with, and looking into, for instance, space usage, color, layout, and readability. She's opening issues based on that testing and tagging them "user testing" https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues?q=is%3Aopen+label%3A%22user+testing%22 in case you want to follow along and see what she's finding.

Some folks have asked that pypi's design be consistent with python.org https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/2562 -- I've noted this thread there.

I looked into the contrast issue and found that we aren't meeting WCAG accessibility guidelines on this, so I have updated the relevant issue https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3334 and am marking it to be fixed before we shut down the legacy site.

I recognize that many users want a more condensed view on many pypi.org pages, and am tracking that in https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/1988 and linking to this thread.

The "classifiers"/"filters" phrasing mismatch, I've filed as https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3452 .

People who literally don't see the list of ways to filter on the left-hand side of https://pypi.org/search/ : I ask you the usual list of troubleshooting questions. What OS and browser are you using, what plugins and particularly interesting preferences are you using, and so on. (When I turn off JavaScript in my browser, I see a list of clickable category headings like "By Programming Language" but clicking on them causes no response.) A screenshot in an issue at https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues would be helpful. (Reminder that participating in Warehouse development, including by filing an issue, requires abiding by the PyPA Code of Conduct https://www.pypa.io/en/latest/code-of-conduct/ .)

-Sumana Harihareswara