please test the new PyPI (now in beta)

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:27:14 EDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 4:16 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <sh at changeset.nyc> wrote:
> The new Python Package Index at https://pypi.org is now in beta.
>
> This means the site is robust, but we anticipate needing more user
> testing and changes before it is "production-ready" and can fully
> replace https://pypi.python.org . We hope to complete the transition
> before the end of April 2018.
>
> We're still working to ensure the new codebase and infrastructure are
> reliable. So please don't rely on it (yet) unless you can handle the
> occasional minor outage.
>
> But we want you to try the new PyPI, test it, and tell us if you have
> any problems. During the beta, we'll have IRC and Twitter livechats to
> hear from you:

For me, the category filters alone are a killer feature over the old
PyPI. I think it's also a plus to the Python community overall that
PyPI not look to newcomers like something that was designed in the 90s
and then abandoned.

I agree with Steven about the unnecessary boxes around every single
package, though. The presentation of the list of packages could be
*much* denser while keeping the same readability, which would also
make the page more usable by reducing the amount of scrolling needed.