Accessing parent objects

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at vub.be
Mon Mar 26 07:04:21 EDT 2018

On 26-03-18 10:52, Ben Finney wrote:
> Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at vub.be> writes:
>
>> But did they start up cleaning the standard library yet? I'll confess
>> I'm only using 3.5 but when I go through the standard library I see a
>> lot of classes still using the old style of calling the parant method,
>> which makes it more difficult to use in a multiple inheritance scheme.
>> Those that don't inheret, don't call super themselves, which makes
>> them also more difficult to use in a multiple inheritance scheme.
> Yes, there are large areas of the Python standard library that were
> written before Python 3 features, and some of those are thus less good
> than they could be.
>
> The solution is, as always: Someone needs to identify (in a bug report)
> what specifically should be improved; someone needs to come up with a
> specific implementation of that improvement (in a merge request, with
> unit tests); someone needs to maintain that code in the standard
> library on an ongoing basis.

I would have thought there is already someome maintaining the standard
library code. I would also have thought that a rather thorough review
of the standard library code would have been part of the upgrade to python3.

> Feel free to take on any of that work; this is work that can be done by
> anyone in the Python community, we don't need to wait.

After having seen Raymond Hettingers talk: Super considered super!(*) My impression
is that the developers wouldn't be interested in such a redesign. The idea I get
away from it is that you can do what needs to be done, you just need to wrap
the not cooperating standard library classes into ones that do the cooperation
for you.

(*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiOglTERPEo&spfreload=1

--
Antoon.