Accessing parent objects

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 26 04:52:31 EDT 2018

Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at vub.be> writes:

> But did they start up cleaning the standard library yet? I'll confess
> I'm only using 3.5 but when I go through the standard library I see a
> lot of classes still using the old style of calling the parant method,
> which makes it more difficult to use in a multiple inheritance scheme.
> Those that don't inheret, don't call super themselves, which makes
> them also more difficult to use in a multiple inheritance scheme.

Yes, there are large areas of the Python standard library that were
written before Python 3 features, and some of those are thus less good
than they could be.

The solution is, as always: Someone needs to identify (in a bug report)
what specifically should be improved; someone needs to come up with a
specific implementation of that improvement (in a merge request, with
unit tests); someone needs to maintain that code in the standard
library on an ongoing basis.

Feel free to take on any of that work; this is work that can be done by
anyone in the Python community, we don't need to wait.

--
 \       “… whoever claims any right that he is unwilling to accord to |
  `\             his fellow-men is dishonest and infamous.” —Robert G. |