2.7 EOL = 2020 January 1

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Mar 13 10:58:42 EDT 2018

On March 10, on thread "Python 2.7 -- bugfix or security before EOL?",
Guido van Russum wrote

"The way I see the situation for 2.7 is that EOL is January 1st, 2020,
and there will be no updates, not even source-only security patches,
after that date. Support (from the core devs, the PSF, and python.org)
stops completely on that date. If you want support for 2.7 beyond that
day you will have to pay a commercial vendor. Of course it's open source
so people are also welcome to fork it. But the core devs have toiled
long enough, and the 2020 EOL date (an extension from the originally
annouced 2015 EOL!) was announced with sufficient lead time and fanfare
that I don't feel bad about stopping to support it at all."

Two days later, Benjamin Peterson, the 2.7 release manager, replied
"Sounds good to me. I've updated the PEP to say 2.7 is completely dead
on Jan 1 2020." adding "The final release may not literally be on
January 1st".

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/ now says
"2.7 will receive bugfix support until January 1, 2020."

--
Terry Jan Reedy