Python 3.6 fails to install to non-standard directory under Linux (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

bsferrazza at avnera.com bsferrazza at avnera.com
Fri Mar 2 15:45:34 EST 2018

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 12:27:17 PM UTC-8, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
> On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 6:42:05 AM UTC+13, bsfer... at avnera.com wrote:

> >   File "/nfs/home/myuser/lfs/sources/Python-3.6.4/Lib/shutil.py", line 476, in rmtree
>
> NFS trouble?
>
> I have had builds give trouble when done on directories mounted via NFS, yet work perfectly on local directories.

Hmm. That could very well be the case. I know the /home directory is NFS mounted, though not sure about /tmp.

I'm starting to get the impression that everything is actually OK, and that these errors are only on the cleanup after installation. Even with the meson install. This bugs.python.org/issue23346 bug got me in the right path. When I comment out the _use_fd_functions line that ends up setting it to True and replace it with a direct assignment to False, everything works ok. The rmtree function instead returns _rmtree_unsafe(path, onerror) when _use_fd_functions is false and that eliminates the error I was seeing.