Python 3.6 fails to install to non-standard directory under Linux

bsferrazza at avnera.com bsferrazza at avnera.com
Fri Mar 2 14:48:04 EST 2018

Here's my configure I need to set ac_cv_fun_utimensat=no and ac_cv_func_futimens=no because presumably the file-system or kernel on my system doesn't support nanosecond timestamps. With these options, and patching the configure/setup.py files to remove references to /usr/lib/ncursesw and replace with my /home/tools/lib path, everything builds just fine. It's during the 'make install' phase of pip that it fails.

./configure --prefix=/home/tools \
  --enable-shared \
  --with-system-expat \
  --with-system-ffi \