I lost nearly all my modules installing 3.7

Elliott Roper nospam at yrl.co.uk
Sat Jun 30 13:10:26 EDT 2018

On 30 Jun 2018, dieter wrote
(in article<mailman.216.1530334151.7721.python-list at python.org>):

> Elliott Roper <nospam at yrl.co.uk> writes:
> > install scipy wrote an error message longer than War and Peace that finished
> > with:-
> > ____________________________________________________________________________
> > error: library dfftpack has Fortran sources but no Fortran compiler found
>
> An error message of the type I like: precise:
> Install a "Fortran compiler" and try again.

> > and matplotlib produced a beautifully formatted report that started with:
> > __________________
> > Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
> > IMPORTANT WARNING:
>
> This is a warning only (even though it is marked as important).
>
> > pkg-config is not installed.
> > matplotlib may not be able to find some of its dependencies
>
> And the warning message is precise again: install "pkg-config"
> to get rid of it.
>
> I do not know "pkg-config". The name seems to indicate an
> operating system package; but, it might also be a Python extension
> package (less likely).
> I would start with the "matplotlib"
> installation instructions to look for information about it.

Thanks Jim and dieter.

I should have mentioned that none of this went wrong in 3.6. All I'm after
are packages I can install with pip3. I really don't need to go down all the
twisty passages installing Fortran

I DID have pkg-config installed in ~/Library ..... site-packages. I
uninstalled it and re-installed with an Admin account, where it appeared in
/Library ... site-packages
but that made no difference, pip3 install -- user matplotlib still
complaining about pkg-config not being installed and not being able to find
png

I was wrong about
Both look like not having write access to
/private/var/folders/v2/gj68t3zx3bd6764zxc332ctc0000gr/T/pip-install-
np76k73m/

I do have write access. It looks like a Mac specific per user directory tree
for temporary stuff and installation records.

I really am out of my depth here.

I have found a post with a very similar problem on Stack Exchange
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51082934/matplotlib-2-2-2-installation-
error-on-high-sierra
sadly without an answer

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$ PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7
637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248