[OT] Why are BBSes? [was Where's the junk coming from?]

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:40:33 EDT 2018

On 06/29/18 07:15, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On 6/28/2018 9:05 PM, Avon wrote:
>> Being able to send messages by ham radio is useful in disasters as well
>> as nostalgic.  I just don't know what people are doing these days.
>>
> 	Though I haven't heard much of the AX.25 Packet BBS systems in
> decades... It seems APRS is mostly what remains of packet.

AX.25 Packet Radio BBS's are still alive and well, though the number of
active nodes has decreased significantly over the past 20 years. There
are 3 of them within a 50 mile radius of me, but I haven't tried passing
a message from coast to coast in several years. I suspect that some
nodes are tunneling via the Internet, which sort of defeats the purpose.

-Jim