Did zip ever used to fail with 0 arguments?

Michael Lamparski diagonaldevice at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 11:49:15 EDT 2018

>>> list(zip())
[]

I'm not sure why, but I really could've sworn this used to produce
something like:

    TypeError: zip requires at least one argument

which is often what I would rather have happen since 0 arguments is a
degenerate case. (consider the result of zip(*zip(*args)) for 1+ arguments
versus 0 arguments).

I looked all through the changelog (including the HISTORY file, which I
searched all the way down to the point where zip first became an iterator),
but I don't see anything to this effect.  Am I crazy?

(maybe I am confusing it with another language? But I can hardly even begin
to guess how, because Python is more or less the only dynamically-typed
language I use!)

---

Michael