Python list vs google group

Fri Jun 15 22:08:47 EDT 2018

On 6/15/18 9:00 PM, Jim Lee wrote:

>> On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 4:52 AM, Rob Gaddi
>> <rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Really?  I always thought it didn't scan.
>>>
>> Having spent way WAY too many hours trying to turn documents into
>> images (and text), I very much appreciate that laugh.
>>
>> ChrisA
> I once had a Mustek color scanner that came with a TWAIN driver.  If
> the room temperature was above 80 degrees F, it would scan in color -
> otherwise, only black & white.  I was *sure* it was a hardware
> problem, but then someone released a native Linux driver for the
> scanner.  When I moved the scanner to my Linux box, it worked fine
> regardless of temperature.
>
> -Jim

There actually may still have been a hardware issue, likely something
marginal in the timing on the cable. (Timing changing with temperature).
It would take a detailed look, and a fine reading of specs, to see if
the Windows Driver was to spec, and the hardware is marginal (but the
Linux driver didn't push the unit to full speed and got around the
issue), of if the Windows driver broke some specification but still sort
of worked, especially if things were warm, while the Linux driver did it
right.

--
Richard Damon