Django-hotsauce 1.0 LTS (Commercial Edition) now available for preorder!!

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 12:58:29 EDT 2018

On 06/13/2018 11:38 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Jim Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I haven't purchased commercial software in decades, so I'm not up on the
>> prevailing business model, but I have to ask:
>>
>> Why would anyone purchase software and then agree to wait 14 weeks for it to
>> be delivered?  I can see that model for hardware, where material resources
>> are limited and a finite number of product is produced, but software?
>> What's the point?
>>
> For the 50% discount, I presume. If you wait 14 weeks, then buy, then
> own, you pay full price.
>
>  From the company's point of view: if the release date is in the future
> and ALL the revenue is also in the future, cash flow becomes tricky.
> By getting at least _some_ money in advance, they give themselves a
> way to pay the bills.
>
> ChrisA
But the "50% discount" is supposedly good up until the release date.  I
could purchase the software the day before release and still enjoy the
same benefit without the 14 week wait.

I understand the advantages *to the company*, but to enjoy those
advantages, they need to provide some kind of incentive to the buyer.  I
don't see one here.  Anyway, I was just curious to see if there was any
kind of thought process behind the "promotion".

-Jim