Posting warning message

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Wed Jun 13 01:02:48 EDT 2018

On 13Jun2018 00:29, Tamara Berger <brgrt2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 7:57 PM Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> wrote:
>> On 12Jun2018 07:14, Tamara Berger <brgrt2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >Just one more thing, Cameron. I was looking at an Apple support page, and it says "When you're logged in to your Mac using an administrator account, you can use the sudo command in the Terminal app to execute commands as a different user, such as the root user." (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202035). I am logged in as administrator. So why isn't sudo working for me?
>>
>> >P.S. How would I make the link I provided live?
>>
>> What link? This is why we trim quoted text and reply below the relevant bit directly: I don't know what link you provided or even whether it is there, just buried in the huge quoted text. Just cite it again, eg:
>>
>>   How would I make this link (link here) live?
>
>The link is above, in the first paragraph, beginning with the words
>"Just one more thing, Cameron."
>
>> And then, of course, tell us what "live" means :-)
>
>Live means live. It is not a word I created. It means that the link
>has been activated, so clicking on it will take you to the associated
>page. Here is a definition from www.yourdictionary.com/live-link.
>"Live Link - Computer Definition: An active text or graphic link on a
>Web page. Clicking the link redirects the user to another Web page or
>a document or image." The link to the definition I just copied into
>this paragraph is not live because clicking on it will not do
>anything.

Aha. Well, clicking on it worked for me! But then I'm using email in a terminal
window where the terminal window has some support for recognising links and
making them clickable. I'm surprised GMail doesn't do that as well.

>This question became moot when I posted my message, because that
>action activated the link. [...]

It may be that the "post" action didn't do it, but Google Groups' message
rendering did it. You don't need to make some things "live", your user
interface will do it for you.

To elaborate, I see your messages as plain text. But my reading tool (in this
case the terminal emulator enclosing my mail reader) saw the link and made it a
clickable thing for me.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>