Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 19:00:57 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 8:24 AM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 3:04:14 PM UTC-5, MRAB wrote:
>> The software is more like the fuel.
>
> How so?
>
> (01) Can energy be extracted from software?

Yes, absolutely.

> (02) If so, at what rate is software depleted as the hardware
>      transforms it into energy?

That depends on the efficiency of the hardware involved. Ideally, you
should get at least 100 microninjas per bug-free line of code, but
cheap third-rate computers may fall a long way short of that.

> (03) What is the energy potential of... oh... say... a pint of
>      software?

I'm sorry, that question doesn't make sense. You cannot measure
software by the pint. It is sold by weight, not volume.

> (04) Is software a solvent?

Of course it is! A solvent is something which solves problems. If your
software isn't solving problems, what is it for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware
specifically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(series)#Episode_Three

> (06) What is the flash point of software?

You'd have to ask Macromedia.

> (07) What sort of mining processes are required to extract
>      software (or its precursors) from the environment.

I'm not entirely sure, but as soon as you start talking about
"mining", graphics card prices go up. Please stop talking about
mining. I need to upgrade my video card so I can play Shadow of the
Tomb Raider, and I don't want to have to pay a bitcoin for the card.

> (08) How much more software do you estimate we can extract?

That's a question based on a myth. It was once thought that we would
achieve "peak software" and then run out, but as technology improves,
we gain the ability to extract more software from the same raw
materials. Also, there have been proposals to construct software
generation facilities on the moon. Google had grand plans, but they've
been deferred for now.

> (09) Does the concept of "peak software" have any potential
>      of becoming a toxic political football?

Definitely. See above, though; "peak software" is not actually a
thing. That won't stop it becoming a toxic football.

> (10) Who discovered software?

Nikola Tesla, but Edison got the credit.

> (11) And finally -- and in the interest of safety -- may we
>      have a look at the MSDS sheet for software?

Of course! Please remit $100 as a processing fee, and a stamped,
self-addressed envelope, to:

The Internet

(no other address needed; your post office will figure it out)

ChrisA