Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 18:24:00 EDT 2018

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 3:04:14 PM UTC-5, MRAB wrote:
> On 2018-06-11 20:17, Rick Johnson wrote:
[...]
> > A dashboard is a horrible analogy. Software and hardware
> > are connected at the _hip_.  A more correct analogy to
> > describe the relationship between computer hardware and
> > computer software would be a car and an engine. A car is
> > basically useless without an engine, and likewise for an
> > engine without a car.
> >
> I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The engine is
> also hardware.

My analogy was not intented to draw direct parallels between
car components and computer components. It was intented to
underscore the mutual dependancy between them. For example:
computers function by combining hardware and software.
Likewise, automobiles function by combining a power-plant
with a passenger compartment.

> The software is more like the fuel.

How so?

(01) Can energy be extracted from software?

(02) If so, at what rate is software depleted as the hardware
     transforms it into energy?

(03) What is the energy potential of... oh... say... a pint of
     software?

(04) Is software a solvent?

(05) Does software easily vaporize?

(06) What is the flash point of software?

(07) What sort of mining processes are required to extract
     software (or its precursors) from the environment.

(08) How much more software do you estimate we can extract?

(09) Does the concept of "peak software" have any potential
     of becoming a toxic political football?

(10) Who discovered software?

(11) And finally -- and in the interest of safety -- may we
     have a look at the MSDS sheet for software?

> > And yes, there are aftermarket engines sold by third
> > parties and people buy them all the time to replace OEM
> > engines.
> >
> It doesn't matter how good the engine is (or how much
> you've upgraded the processor), because without the fuel
> (or software) it's just a large paperweight (or room
> heater). :-)

Well, that was kinda my point.

No. Wait a sec. Allow me to rephrase.

That was _exactly_ my point.