Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:17:47 EDT 2018

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 1:02:15 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:

> You're trying to argue against my hypothetical statements
> about game publishing, and declaring that it's possible to
> use software to encourage hardware sales. But my point was
> that, absent copyright and the ability to make money from
> software, software probably *would not exist*. Tell me, do
> you go to a car manufacturer and buy the ability to use a
> third-party dashboard? If the dashboard itself is
> fundamentally unsaleable, and MUST be given away for free,
> who other than the original manufacturer will produce one?

A dashboard is a horrible analogy.

Software and hardware are connected at the _hip_.

A more correct analogy to describe the relationship between
computer hardware and computer software would be a car and
an engine. A car is basically useless without an engine,
and likewise for an engine without a car.

And yes, there are aftermarket engines sold by third parties
and people buy them all the time to replace OEM engines.