Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:01:51 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:21 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 11:03 PM, Gregory Ewing
> <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico wrote:
>>>
>>> You cannot, to
>>> my knowledge, publish a game for the PS4 or Xbox 360 without
>>> permission from Nintendo or Microsoft.
>>

>> That's because, since we *do* have copyright laws, the
>> manufacturers of the consoles are able to make money by
>> selling the software as well as the hardware -- and they
>> want a monopoly on that source of income.
> Nice work there. You trimmed key parts of my post, and then responded
> to me out of context. Go back and read my actual post, then respond to
> what I actually said. Thanks!

The bit you trimmed out was:

> If the business model had always been "sell hardware, it comes fully
> programmed", what would bring people to try to create third-party
> software at all?

You're trying to argue against my hypothetical statements about game
publishing, and declaring that it's possible to use software to
encourage hardware sales. But my point was that, absent copyright and
the ability to make money from software, software probably *would not
exist*. Tell me, do you go to a car manufacturer and buy the ability
to use a third-party dashboard? If the dashboard itself is
fundamentally unsaleable, and MUST be given away for free, who other
than the original manufacturer will produce one?

ChrisA