Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jun 8 14:33:45 EDT 2018

On Friday 08 June 2018 13:34:44 Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>:
> > On Friday 08 June 2018 08:18:19 Chris Angelico wrote:
> >> Are news servers guaranteed to carry the X-Copyright header in all
> >> transmissions? If not, the copyright notice isn't part of the
> >> message, and is most likely unenforceable.
> >
> > As the courts have so found when this has come up over the last 30
> > years. Basically, its just some newly minted lawyer trying to earn
> > his place at the feeding trough.
>
> Copyrights exist whether they are declared or not.
>
> If I publish a poem or, say, a Python application on Usenet, you will
> need my permission to distribute it. Of course, its dissemination via
> Usenet and remailers is ultimately *me* distributing my work.
>
> In one Usenet discussion I published my translation of a Finnish
> Christmas carol. The author of the original lyrics had died more than
> 70 years before so that was ok. However, the melody was still under
> copyright so I didn't have a right to *explain* in any direct manner
> how the melody went.
>
> Luckily, someone had posted the song on Youtube so I could provide a
> link (although even that could be considered criminal in some
> jurisdictions).
>

> Marko
>
> PS IMO copyright laws should be abolished altogether. At the very
> least one should pay for copyright protection. One €1 for the first
> year, €2 for the second, €4 for the third and so on exponentially.

I rather like that idea. Unforch, who would be in charge of keeping the
books uptodate? The USTPO? Of course that would expand another guvmnt
agencies payroll x10, and its a waste of taxpayer dollars since Albert
retired anyway.

Here in the hew hess aye, we originally had a copyright term of 7 years,
renewable just once for another 7. I will date myself by saying I can
actually remember those days.  But then Disney started buying senators
and congressmen, and we now have this asinine lifetime +70 years just to
keep Mickey Mouse and Company's (oh, and don't forget a widow named
Cher) income rolling in.

Thats the sort of stuff usually found, warm and squishy, on the ground
behind the male of the bovine specie.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)