Stefan's headers [was:Names and identifiers]

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Fri Jun 8 13:49:17 EDT 2018

On 08/06/18 14:13, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On 6/8/18 2:34 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
>> On 07/06/18 22:36, Peter Pearson wrote:

>>> Distribution through any means
>>>    other than regular usenet channels is forbidden. It is forbidden
>>> to publish this article in the
>>>    Web, to change URIs of this article into links,        and to
>>> transfer the body without this
>>>    notice, but quotations        of parts in other Usenet posts are
>>> allowed.
>> As discussed previously [1], this arguably means that it's best if you
>> don't even quote his messages if your posts are mirrored on the mailing
>> list (as most people's are).
>>
>> [1].
>> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2017-November/728635.html
>
> The restriction is absurd, and the idea that people will obey the
> restriction in the headers is absurd. If Stefan posts to a newsgroup in
> this day and age, he knows full well that his words will end up on http
> servers somewhere.  He needs to get over it, or stop posting to newsgroups.
>
> --Ned.

Quite right. Of course it's probably unenforceable, but that's not
really the point.

I have nothing against Stefan. In fact, back when I could (illegally)
see his posts, I quite enjoyed them. However, if he writes in a public
forum like this, he should accept that he's writing in a public forum.
As long as he doesn't, it's only right that he should be banned (from
the list) and ignored (by the few remaining comp.lang.python users).

-- Thomas