Attachments

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Tue Jun 5 11:39:56 EDT 2018

On 2018-06-05 09:33:03 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-python at hjp.at> writes:
> > So we have determined that "the forum" is not the mailing list and not
> > the newsgroup (Jach's message appeared on both with the attachment).
>
> By “the forum” I don't mean any specific server to the exclusion of
> others. I mean the aggregate forum in which we are having this
> discussion: comp.lang.python and python-list are a single discussion
> forum, distributed across many servers.

Then the statement

| (For good reasons, attachments are dropped when messages are distributed
| on the forum.)

was demonstrable false (at least overly general) as the attachment in
Jach's message wasn't dropped. It was distributed over all the servers I
can easily check (plus some servers others have checked). It might have
been dropped on some specific servers, but certainly not on "the forum"
as a whole.

(I remember that I have seen some messages in the past where an
attachment was obviously missing. Maybe specific content types are
stripped, but not attachments in general)

        hp