Edit with IDLE pull down menu

no at none.invalid no at none.invalid
Sat Jul 21 14:17:04 EDT 2018

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 08:52:45 -0700 (PDT), Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

>n... at none.invalid wrote:
>> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> You seem to be able to directly affect Python development.
>> If that is true, maybe you could remove the pull down
>> redundancy from one menu and add a pull down option to
>> another pull down menu.  If Python can modify the pull down
>> menus, it would be nice to be able to right click in a
>> folder (Windows) and have an option to create a new python
>> file with a .py extension like you can create a new text
>> document with a .txt extension.  OpenOffice adds this
>> option to create new OO files.
>
>Hmm, your idea is not terribly awful, but, you should
>consider that if a "Make New file.XXX" command was added to
>the file system context menu for _every_ possible file-type,
>*ZOINKS*, that'd be a frighteningly long list of commands to
>scroll through! And then, after creating the empty file in
>this manner, you'd still have to open the file for editing.
>Thus, a two step process.
>
>A better solution is to use an IDE. Sure, you may have to
>navigate to the appropriate directory, but once you're
>there, any new documents created from the interface (aka:
>"File->New") will default to the current working directory.

I don't remember if OO ever asked for permission, but Winrar did.

I would hope that install programs asked for permission before adding
something like this.  And take it with them when they leave.

The reason I find this useful is because most of my practice programs
so far "import random".  I have a shell file that I keep and I copy it
to a blank file to start another practice problem.  If I try to just
"save as" something else, I forget sometimes.