Users banned

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Tue Jul 17 18:34:16 EDT 2018

On 18/07/18 00:10, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> On 2018-07-17, Thomas Jollans <tjol at tjol.eu> wrote:
>> On 2018-07-16 01:29, Jon Ribbens wrote:
>>> Do you have any reason to believe the message at the top of the
>>> thread purporting to ban users was genuinely from the moderators?
>>> Because there are obvious reasons to believe otherwise.
>>
>> Care to elaborate?
>
> Anyone can trivially forge a message from anyone, so there is no
> reason to believe the message is genuine. Reasons to believe it is
> not genuine include the poor formatting, poorly-written content,
> inconsistent and insulting way the 'banned users' are referred to,
> and the fact that out of the three people it purports to ban, one
> was apparently already banned and another appears not to be a current
> poster anyway.
>
> If it is a genuine message from the moderators then they really need
> to improve their policy to give clear warnings to people before they
> are banned, and they need to PGP-sign official messages so that they
> can be recognised.

Perhaps, if there were more messages from moderators.

On the other hand, headers from mail.python.org indicate that the
message came from the right mail server (rather harder to fake), and I'm
sure Ethan (who has been active since) or one of the other moderators
would have said something if this were fake.

As for clear warnings, as Terry said, we don't know what did or didn't
happen in private emails.