What "cult-like behavior" meant (was: Re: Glyphs and graphemes

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 04:22:53 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 4:57 PM Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:

> Python3 is not a cult. It's a programming language. What is cult-like is
> the manner in which Python3's honor is defended in a good many of the
> discussions in this newsgroup: anger, condescension, ridicule,
> name-calling.

OK, I understand now.

But I think it's true for all popular programming languages, not only Python.
And it's not only for programming languages.  I can see many too-defensive
people on Twitter.
Honestly speaking, I'm too defensive sometimes, too.

Anyway, I feel "Cult-like behavior" in mail subject was misleading
when discussing about byte-transparent string vs unicode string.

Such powerful words may make people more defensive, and
heat non productive discussion.

(I know it's not you start using "cult-like behavior" in subject.
I don't blame anyone.  I just want share I noticed.)

Regards,
--
INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>