Kindness

Bart bc at freeuk.com
Fri Jul 13 20:06:39 EDT 2018

On 13/07/2018 22:28, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 7:16 AM, Bart <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> This group is openly hostile and unwelcoming.
>
> Have you noticed how a lot of the hostility seems to happen shortly
> after you make your posts about how Python sucks compared to your
> nameless and unpublished language?

Would it be any better if that language didn't exist but I just came up
with the same criticisms and suggestions anyway? I'm sure they would be
more appreciated when not backed up any knowledge or experience...

  Oh, sorry, I mean "how Python lacks
> basic features that your language just happens to tick all the boxes
> on". People who come in and ask genuine questions about Python seem to
> find the group far more welcoming and helpful.

Yes, that's one very useful purpose of such a group. To not question the
language at all, deny the existence of anything else, and simply use
what it already has to solve whatever coding problems people have.

Another can be to look more objectively, more critically at the language
itself, make comparisons, discuss what things could usefully be added
(eg. assignment expressions) or removed, all that sort of thing.

Fewer people are interested in that, because most people will just use
the languages as they are (or switch to another) and are not interested
in changing it because they have a job to finish. Some appear to get
very cross if someone dares say a word against a tool that for their
purposes works adequately.

However some of that does need to happen and has happened otherwise
everyone would still be using version 1.0.

--
bart