Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader

Bart bc at freeuk.com
Fri Jul 13 11:16:43 EDT 2018

On 13/07/2018 13:33, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:37:41 +0100, Bart wrote:
>
>> (** Something so radical I've been using them elsewhere since forever.)
>
> And you just can't resist making it about you and your language.

And you can't resist having a personal dig.

You and others have given me some flak for bringing up certain simple
features which I believe to be missing from Python, and there are
endless discussions about why Python doesn't need them, with the fact
that Python is so successful being the ultimate proof.

And now lo and behold one of those basic features is green-lighted to be
added to the language (although apparently with stiff opposition).

BTW many language features I use including that one where inspired by
Algol-68, while the use of ":=" for all assignments was pioneered even
earlier; hardly my inventions.

And actually, even C has assignment-expressions so anyone who's coded in
C for decades could have said the same thing.

> "Hey Bart, did you hear? Nuclear war just broke out between Russia and
> Britain. Dozens of cities are aflame, tens of millions are dead across
> Europe, and a cloud of radioactive smoke is heading our way!"

Sorry, I thought this was a technical language newsgroup not about
current affairs.