Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader

Jim Oberholtzer midrangel at agiletecharch.com
Fri Jul 13 10:23:35 EDT 2018

Nicholas:

I am relatively new to Python, and my system of choice, IBM i  on POWER, now supports Python directly.  The open source movement is so strong that I think Python will be just fine.  I've been a system programmer for 35 years, and this tooling (along with the 1000's APIs that IBM has put into IBM i (OS/400, iSeries, System I,  all the same thing) over the years makes this one of the most powerful tools I have in my toolkit.

Might there be a bit of chaos for a while, sure, there always is when the unexpected occurs, however I sympathize with Guido in many ways since 90% of people will jump on a target just because it's a target, without even knowing or caring about the underlying issue.  It's today's hyper-partisan world where the internet shields people from direct contact and thus the responsibility for what you say and do.  That's why I always sign my posts with my real name and include my company name, to ensure to don't get involved in flame wars etc.

While I'm genuinely sad to see that Guido chose to bow out under these circumstances, I also see a bright future.  Remember, the addition of the POWER line of servers in IBM i (yes AIX and Linux run there too) adds a significant number of shops that might adopt Python.  That means Python is growing on its own. The legacy is written already, it will just get better.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects