Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jul 13 08:43:34 EDT 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 22:29:29 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> To be quite frank, the proposal would have quietly died on python-ideas
> if it hadn't been for Guido's explicit support early on. (I know this
> for sure because the same proposal HAS quietly died, more than once.)
> The controversy came because the rest of the world disagreed with Guido,
> not because of anything that I am capable of in myself.

I think Guido's post makes it fairly clear that what pushed him over the
edge was not the opposition to the PEP in the first place, but
(extrapolating from his comments) the levels of abuse he (probably)
received privately and on social media after his announcement was made.

The downside of being the visible face of a popular language while having
a publicly visible email address.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson