Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 08:29:29 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:37 PM, Bart <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 13/07/2018 01:44, MRAB wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-07-12 23:20, Roel Schroeven wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, you read that right: Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader.
>>>
>>> See his mail:
>>>
>>> (https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2018-July/005664.html)
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> That's very sad news.
>

> And all over PEP 572 which apparently is Chris' proposal to introduce ":="
> assignment expressions**. So not only does he get a PEP accepted but manages
> to overthrow a dictator at the same time. Good going!

To be quite frank, the proposal would have quietly died on
python-ideas if it hadn't been for Guido's explicit support early on.
(I know this for sure because the same proposal HAS quietly died, more
than once.) The controversy came because the rest of the world
disagreed with Guido, not because of anything that I am capable of in
myself.

ChrisA