PEP 526 - var annotations and the spirit of python

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 12:35:38 EDT 2018

On 07/03/18 06:32, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 19:51:29 -0500, Tim Daneliuk <info at tundraware.com>
> declaimed the following:
>
>> Except that the current attempt is to use techniques like agile,
>> scrum, pair programming, and so forth to turn programming into
>> a factory activity.  High degrees of specialization are segmented
>> by architectural role (front end, back end, infrastructure,
>> DevOps ...), language, and even business unit.  In my view,
>> systems architecture, software design, and non functional
>> capabilities suffer thereby, but I am old and crabby :)
>>
> 	Where do I join the "old and crabby" club?
>
> 	After 30 years with a DOD contractor where things went through PDR, CDR
> (and often separate sets for requirements, followed by design, followed by
> implementation), my last four years were in an environment as you describe
> above -- where the requirements seemed to be written based upon what the
> implementation of the week performed...

Welcome to the club, Dennis!  My last four years were also as Tim
described, and that's what made me decide to retire early.

Another trend is that, with the high degree of compartmentalization,
many of the programming jobs are now being farmed out overseas as black
box bids.  After I retired, my team was sent to China to "train" a new
group (read brain dump), and was then summarily disbanded.

-Jim