PEP 526 - var annotations and the spirit of python

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:45:24 EDT 2018

On 07/02/18 04:01, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 20:51:42 -0700, Jim Lee wrote:
>
>> Back before the dot com boom, programmers (generally) knew at least 6,
>> 7, 8 languages.
> You obviously didn't know (m)any of the hundreds of thousands of COBOL
> programmers.

   I did know a handful, but we generally didn't admit to it. :)

> Of for that matter, the vast horde of BASIC/VB coders, or even for that
> matter the C coders who *if they were especially adventurous* might have
> had a passing acquaintance with one or two shell scripting languages.

VB is after the time frame I was thinking of.  I consider VB programmers
as part of the "new generation" but, since VB is closed source, they had
little opportunity to influence its design.

And the BASIC programmers before them were vastly comprised of hobby
programmers, not professionals (though many made the transition later).

So yes, there are always exceptions when one is speaking in generalities.

-Jim