I lost nearly all my modules installing 3.7

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 2 10:37:00 EDT 2018

On 7/2/2018 9:50 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:

> If you're wanting to use SciPy and matplotlib, I suggest you stick with
> Python 3.6.  There's little reason to immediately go to Python 3.7.
> Anytime you upgrade to the very latest version of Python, it's going to
> take some time for binary wheels to be built and placed on PyPi,
> installable with pip.  Either that, or make sure you do have the
> compilers, dependent libraries and tools (pkg-config) installed.  This
> is easy on Linux.  On Mac it's more involved and will likely involve
> installing a whole suite of 3rd-party software like MacPorts.

It used to take about 6 months after x.y was released before most major
packages were available for x.y.  I hope they come faster now.

For Windows, a few hundred unofficial whls, for both win32 and amd64,
including for matplotlib, are available for (2.7?, 3.4-) 3.7 from
https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/, and have been for some
number of months.

--
Terry Jan Reedy