I lost nearly all my modules installing 3.7

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 09:50:02 EDT 2018

On 06/30/2018 11:10 AM, Elliott Roper wrote:
> I should have mentioned that none of this went wrong in 3.6. All I'm after
> are packages I can install with pip3. I really don't need to go down all the
> twisty passages installing Fortran

That's because there were likely binary packages available in the PyPi
repository for matplotlib.  Python 3.7 is new enough that there are not
yet binary "wheels" for matplotlib.  So you'll either have to compile it
from source (hence the fortran compiler), or wait until binary wheels
show up in pip.

If you're wanting to use SciPy and matplotlib, I suggest you stick with
Python 3.6.  There's little reason to immediately go to Python 3.7.
Anytime you upgrade to the very latest version of Python, it's going to
take some time for binary wheels to be built and placed on PyPi,
installable with pip.  Either that, or make sure you do have the
compilers, dependent libraries and tools (pkg-config) installed.  This
is easy on Linux.  On Mac it's more involved and will likely involve
installing a whole suite of 3rd-party software like MacPorts.