Simple graphic library for beginners

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 17:32:02 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:21 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 11/01/2018 20:53, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 7:34 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>

>>> It failed on my 3.6, it failed on 3.4, it failed on 3.7 (is what 'pip'
>>> does
>>> really so leading edge?), and finally worked on a brand-new 3.6.
>>

>> In case you haven't figured it out by now, pygame has different builds
>> to work with different versions. So what you're saying is:
>>
>> "Wow, the pygame people are lazy idiots who haven't made things easy
>> for me to use an unreleased version of Python. What a train-wreck
>> Python is, when third-party packages aren't ready months in advance of
>> a new release."
>

>  "pygame for Python version 3.7 and later not ready."
>
> or:
>
>  "Can't find pygame distribution for Python 3.7."
>
> If this works by accessing the right version of a .whl file, then it might
> guess something is amiss if there isn't one available for 3.7.
>
> But the error message for 'pip install pygame' on 3.7 was roughly the same
> as on 3.4.
>
> As I understand it, pygame is just another add-on, which doesn't inherently
> need to use .whl format, and which doesn't inherently need to use 'pip'
> package installer. I even saw somewhere that you needed to use 'pip install
> wheel' in order to use .whl.
>
> So there are two extraneous package systems to contend with, which
> themselves need to be the correct versions, before it can even start
> thinking about installing the product you really want.
>
> And pygame itself, as I think was mentioned, is largely a wrapper around
> SDL. SDL for Windows can come prebuilt as a handful of .dll shared
> libraries. But a wrapper that presumably isn't written in Python, for the
> most part, according to the preponderance of .pyd modules. Its
> implementation is messy, and its distribution seems rather more elaborate
> (when the magic doesn't work and things go wrong) than is necessary.

More FUD. Especially when you preface something with "I even saw
somewhere". No reference, and it's not something from official
documentation. You're citing a potentially-outdated third-party
document, and ignoring context (like "you need to 'pip install wheel'
to take advantage of wheel caching" which is not nearly as bad as
you're implying).

You said yourself that when you used Python 3.6 (the latest stable
release, at time of writing), everything just worked. Why are you
still complaining?

ChrisA