Simple graphic library for beginners

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 15:53:16 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 7:34 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 11/01/2018 20:12, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> I tried that on my brand-new, just installed Python 3.7. It didn't work
>>> as
>>> detailed in my other post.
>>>
>>> Please don't assume that because it works for you, that it MUST work for
>>> everyone, and that they must be doing something wrong if it doesn't.
>>>
>>> Apparently it's missing a file called 'Setup'. Is it my fault if it can't
>>> find it? Or if it insists on continuing to install something even when
>>> some
>>> vital component is missing.
>>>

>> Most people would use the latest STABLE RELEASE of a language, if they
>> expect it to be stable. Unreleased versions, alphas, and so on, may be
>> very useful, but should not be expected to work perfectly with all
>> third-party modules.
>

>>> I downloaded Python 3.7. It didn't work.
>>
>> Where from?
>
> I found it at www.python.org. (in /downloads/windows). Although it said
> 'latest' release was 3.6.4, it didn't say anything about 3.7 being alpha or
> beta release.

So:
1) You ignore the homepage download link
2) You ignore the /downloads/ info
3) You ignore the fact that the version number is 3.7.0a4
4) You didn't actually go to
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-370a4/ where you would
have seen that it's a preview.

> It failed on my 3.6, it failed on 3.4, it failed on 3.7 (is what 'pip' does
> really so leading edge?), and finally worked on a brand-new 3.6.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, pygame has different builds
to work with different versions. So what you're saying is:

"Wow, the pygame people are lazy idiots who haven't made things easy
for me to use an unreleased version of Python. What a train-wreck
Python is, when third-party packages aren't ready months in advance of
a new release."

ChrisA