Simple graphic library for beginners

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Thu Jan 11 14:51:24 EST 2018

On 11/01/2018 18:42, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> Well, that seemed to do something, and it didn't need me to download any
>> .whl files. But then I noticed a bunch of errors culminating with:
>>
>> "Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code 1 in
>> C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pip_build_user\pygame"
>
> If you've broken your pip in some way, we won't be able to help you
> debug it with just this. Figure out why your Python 3.6 doesn't have a
> working pip, because that IS the normal and obvious thing to do.

I downloaded Python 3.7. It didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled
it, this time with the 'set environment variables' option (to allow
'pip' to be typed from anywhere).

It still didn't work. I hid all the other Pythons. Same thing.

The following is the transcript. What is this "Setup" file of which it
speaks?

c:\python37>pip install pygame
Collecting pygame
   Using cached pygame-1.9.3.tar.gz
     Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:

     WARNING, No "Setup" File Exists, Running "config.py"
     Using WINDOWS configuration...

     Path for SDL not found.
     Too bad that is a requirement! Hand-fix the "Setup"
     Path for FONT not found.
     Path for IMAGE not found.
     Path for MIXER not found.
     Path for PNG not found.
     Path for JPEG not found.
     Path for PORTMIDI not found.
     Path for COPYLIB_tiff not found.
     Path for COPYLIB_z not found.
     Path for COPYLIB_vorbis not found.
     Path for COPYLIB_ogg not found.

     If you get compiler errors during install, doublecheck
     the compiler flags in the "Setup" file.

     Continuing With "setup.py"
     Error with the "Setup" file,
     perhaps make a clean copy from "Setup.in".
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
       File
"C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-_pte0jsi\pygame\setup.py",
line 165, in <modu
le>
         extensions = read_setup_file('Setup')
       File "c:\python37\lib\distutils\extension.py", line 171, in
read_setup_file
         line = expand_makefile_vars(line, vars)
       File "c:\python37\lib\distutils\sysconfig.py", line 407, in
expand_makefile_vars
         s = s[0:beg] + vars.get(m.group(1)) + s[end:]
     TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "NoneType") to str

Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-
build-_pte0jsi\pygame\

c:\python37>