Simple graphic library for beginners

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 13:42:03 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 11/01/2018 15:23, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:38 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>

>>> Although I can't run it because 'pygame' is not available. I think
>>> installing this library is likely to be a bigger obstacle than
>>> programming
>>> any graphics!
>>>
>>> (If I try and download it as a ready-built library for Windows, it has a
>>> range of .msi files, none of which is a match for my Python. The newest
>>> is
>>> for win32 Py3.2; I need win64 Py3.6. While building from source involves
>>> running MSVC 2008 .... urghh)
>>

>> https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pygame
>>
>> Go. Fetch. Stop fudding.
>

> And you know this link, how? Because googling for 'download pygame', it
> doesn't appear on the first page (or in any of the next half dozen).

I Googled 'pygame windows', 'pygame windows binary', and a few others
like that, and it appeared on the first page every time - usually
within the top four - and other hits often included Stack Overflow
questions that link to it, as well. A bit of basic research will also
tell you that this is a link worth saving.

> But clicking on it, the most promising link seems to have 'cp36' and
> 'amd64'; I assume the 36 means 3.6.
>
> OK, but what the hell do I do with a .whl file? Google tells me I install it
> something like this: pip install file.whl.
>
> Except my Python 3.6 doesn't have pip. There is a however a copy in my
> Python 3.4. But that gives me the message:

Why doesn't it? Recent Pythons should include pip by default.

>  "pygame-1.9.3-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl is not a supported wheel on this
> platform."
>
> Maybe I need the 3.4? Download that (which is a bit of pig getting it from
> my browser's download directory, to anywhere else on my file system). But
> same error.
>
> Maybe it's the AMD64 bit, as my processor is Intel. (But is is really that
> critical??) I try the win32 version - same error.
>
> Perhaps I'm overthinking it, maybe this will work:
>
>   pip install pygame
>
> and it will do whatever it needs to do to locate and download whatever
> version it knows is needed.

Yes, as Ned told you. Actually, this should be so blatantly obvious
that I fell into the trap of assuming you'd already tried it. Mea
culpa.

> Well, that seemed to do something, and it didn't need me to download any
> .whl files. But then I noticed a bunch of errors culminating with:
>
> "Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code 1 in
> C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pip_build_user\pygame"

If you've broken your pip in some way, we won't be able to help you
debug it with just this. Figure out why your Python 3.6 doesn't have a
working pip, because that IS the normal and obvious thing to do.

ChrisA