[OT] Re: has sourceforge exposed the dirty little secret ?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Jan 7 19:07:48 EST 2018

On Sunday 07 January 2018 18:25:52 Random832 wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018, at 17:47, Richard Damon wrote:
> > But it also says:

> > Which is incorrect, as the message is actually 8bit encoded (since
> > the Emoji aren't in the first 127 characters, so their UTF-8
> > encoding isn't 7-bit. Some software might have messed up the message
> > in transit due to that error.
>
> Well, the fact that the emoji survived the round-trip and showed up
> properly in his reply (and yours) led me to rule out the possibility
> that anything like that had happened. Plus, if that had happened, the
> result wouldn't be boxes, but a series of ASCII characters (some of
> which are control characters, and some of which are printable).

Its just boxes here, and I just spent the better part of half an hour
trying all the fonts available to kmail, without see anything but
variable sizes of twin boxes. Looking at the raw message its also marked
transfer content encoding = base64, which I'd assume destroys any
semblance of an 8 bit encoding.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)