[OT] Re: has sourceforge exposed the dirty little secret ?

Sun Jan 7 17:47:38 EST 2018

On 1/7/18 5:27 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2018 16:22:57 Christian Gollwitzer wrote:
>
>> Am 05.01.18 um 22:15 schrieb Michael Torrie:
>>> Please, no!  We don't need emoji in this group. Fortunately the vast
>>> majority of posters use plain text (as is the etiquette) and so we
>>> don't have to worry about that kind of nonsense.
>>
>> It's not needed, but shouldn't pose any big problems with modern
>> software? I'm using Thunderbird over NNTP, and this shows up as
>> graphics to me:
>>
>> 🐍 💻
>>
> But here its broken and I am looking at two pairs of vertical boxes
> because it is not properly mime'd. If you use chars or gliphs from a
> non-default charset, it needs to demarcated with a mime-boundary marker
> followed by the new type definition. Your email/news agent did not do
> that.

The headers say:

So it DOES declare the right character set.

But it also says:

Which is incorrect, as the message is actually 8bit encoded (since the
Emoji aren't in the first 127 characters, so their UTF-8 encoding isn't
7-bit. Some software might have messed up the message in transit due to
that error.

It came up on the mailing list correct, and the gateway converted the
encoding to Base64 which should work.

If you don't have a font installed that your reader can find those
characters, that could be another issue.