Detection of ultrasonic side channels in mobile devices with Python?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 28 21:52:08 EST 2018

Instead of berating us for not answering an extremely obscure question,
you should have use Ms SearchBox first, like I did to determine whether
these are real subjects.

On 2/28/2018 5:31 PM, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> If ultrasonic side channels are a threat to privacy, it is because smart
> phones were designed to exploit this precise feature.

(Near) Ultrasonic beacons are apparently a real and rather sneaky
tracking mechanism.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/05/using_ultrasoni.html
This is actually about using near-ultrasonic, 18-20 KHtz, which can be
produced by some TVs and other off-the-shelf gear and detected by phone
microphones.  Read or ask *them* about what android/Dalvik system calls
they used to access phone microphones.

Investigate for yourself whether any Python implementations for Android
give you such access.

> A great number of studies have shown that ultrasonic neuromodulation of
> the central nervous system can be exploited via brain-computer
> interfaces...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4981830/ is a review
article about clinical use for brain and nerve stimulation in patients.
I am rather sure that they are talking about *real* ultrasound, well
away from the audio range.  So this seems to be a completely separate topic.

--
Terry Jan Reedy