How to make Python run as fast (or faster) than Julia

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 23 00:00:13 EST 2018

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 00:26:33 +0000, bartc wrote:

> The point of the article was Julia vs. Python. You can't make Python
> faster by switching to a faster algorithm; you have to use the same one
> on both.

No, the point of the article was to write Python code that is as fast as
the Julia code.

I don't know why the Julia programmers chose to use such a poor
algorithm: maybe they are show-casing just how amazingly awesome the
Julia compiler is that it can even make a rubbish algorithm run fast. I
don't care -- they can choose whatever algorithm they like for their
Julia code, but I don't really care how good the language is at running
bad code that I would never use in real life.

--
Steve