Are the critiques in "All the things I hate about Python" valid?

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at vub.be
Tue Feb 20 09:11:06 EST 2018

On 20-02-18 14:55, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 12:38 AM, Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at vub.be> wrote:
>> Why should this be done at compile time? I say a static language can do
>> the same as a dynamic language and your counter point is to ask for how
>> that static language can do something extra.
>>
>> The point I am making is that you claim dynamic languages are excelling
>> by being less demaning of the dynamic language.
>>
>> So yes the static language can check those kind of restraints at runtime
>> just as easily as a dynamic language.
> So what's the point of a "static language" if all it's doing is the
> same thing that any other language can do?

Who says that is all static languages are doing? Steven claimed dynamic languages
excelled at runtime checks. I counter by stating that statically typed languages
are just as good at runtime checks. How do you infer from that, that all
that statically languages do, is the same as a dynamic language?

--
Antoon