Are the critiques in "All the things I hate about Python" valid?

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Tue Feb 20 09:03:34 EST 2018

On 20/02/2018 13:38, Antoon Pardon wrote:

> People praise the dynamic nature of Python here on this list and then
> often enough seem to recoil when they see a piece of code really using
> that dynamism.

Maybe everyone has their own ideas of how dynamic a language should be.

(I use another language that I call 'dynamic'. But the only dynamic
thing is that variables have a dynamic type - the variable's type is a
runtime attribute.

But, function names are static (they will always be function names).
Module names are static. Type names (including user-defined ones) are
static. Named constants are static. Source code is static (it only
exists at compile-time). Attribute names are static; they have to be
declared at compile-time. Variable names themselves are static: they
can't become function or class or module names. Module imports are
static (they are not done at runtime and can't be conditional).
Operators are static and cannot overridden.

AFAIK, all these are dynamic in Python (not sure about operators).)

--
bartc