Are the critiques in "All the things I hate about Python" valid?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Feb 20 07:28:25 EST 2018

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:34:29 +0100, Anders Wegge Keller wrote:

> På Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:15:19 +0000 (UTC) Steven D'Aprano
> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> skrev:
>> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:06:36 +0100, Anders Wegge Keller wrote:
>>
>> > Array is not even close to providing a strongly typed container.
>>
>> That's a mighty powerful claim that goes against the documentation for
>> the array module. Can you back your claims up?
>>
>> Here's an array and a list:
>
>  Make me an array of tuples with two integers and a string, and we can
>  talk.

The array module's failure to support the specific type you want has no
bearing on whether or not Python is statically typed.

The question isn't "does Python provide you with every imaginable
homogeneous array type you might ever want?", we already know the answer
to that is no.

The question is your claim that Python objects aren't strongly typed, and
your obvious attempt to avoid answering my challenge is answer enough. If
you could meet the challenge, you would have done it.

--
Steve