This newsgroup (comp.lang.python) may soon be blocked by Google Gro

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Feb 10 09:21:28 EST 2018

On Friday 09 February 2018 23:44:54 Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 17:30:57 -0800, codewizard wrote:
> > Regardless of what the policies are and how well they're enforced,
> > if the mailing list is cut off from GG, I will stop reading it.
>
> There is *absolutely nothing* we can do about that. Google doesn't
> listen to us, and the suggestion that we can influence them because
> Guido van Rossum used to work for them many years ago is naive.
>
> We cannot influence Google's decision about the newsgroup; we cannot
> convince your boss to allow access to the newsgroup at work; and
> apparently we can't convince you that just because you will no longer
> be able to access it from work, doesn't mean you have to stop
> accessing it from home. Oh well, such is life.
>
> (Ironically, the vast bulk of spam on the newsgroup comes from Google
> Groups itself, so if this does happen, it will probably be a nett win
> for the community, even if it does negatively impact some
> individuals.)
>
> > Probably
> > not a big loss to anyone else, but you might wonder how many others
> > are in the same situation...
>
> There's nothing we can do about it, so there is no point wasting time
> wondering.

The list I see here is much much cleaner, as anything from google groups
has been diverted to /dev/null for a year or more. We don't need the
blather that comes out of googlegroups. If google is unhappy and cuts it
off, methinks they should run a broom through their own real estate
first.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)