This newsgroup (comp.lang.python) may soon be blocked by Google Gro

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 9 23:44:54 EST 2018

On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 17:30:57 -0800, codewizard wrote:

> Regardless of what the policies are and how well they're enforced, if
> the mailing list is cut off from GG, I will stop reading it.

There is *absolutely nothing* we can do about that. Google doesn't listen
to us, and the suggestion that we can influence them because Guido van
Rossum used to work for them many years ago is naive.

We cannot influence Google's decision about the newsgroup; we cannot
convince your boss to allow access to the newsgroup at work; and
apparently we can't convince you that just because you will no longer be
able to access it from work, doesn't mean you have to stop accessing it
from home. Oh well, such is life.

(Ironically, the vast bulk of spam on the newsgroup comes from Google
Groups itself, so if this does happen, it will probably be a nett win for
the community, even if it does negatively impact some individuals.)

> Probably
> not a big loss to anyone else, but you might wonder how many others are
> in the same situation...

There's nothing we can do about it, so there is no point wasting time
wondering.

--
Steve