virtualenvwrapper under OpenBSD's ksh & FreeBSD's /bin/sh

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Feb 8 20:56:40 EST 2018

Giving a nudge here.  I've tried the below process with both
OpenBSD's stock ksh and FreeBSD's stock /bin/sh as my shell and both
seem to have similar errors (the FreeBSD error is less precise about
the line location or the actual error:

/home/tim/.local/bin/virtualenvwrapper.sh: ${....}: Bad substitution

but I suspect it's the same).

Is there a way to get `pip install --user virtualenvwrapper` to pull
in a version that supports either ksh or traditional /bin/sh instead
of being yoked to bash/zsh?  Based on that bitbucket.org/dhellmann
link, it sounds like it should at least support ksh.

Thanks,

-tkc