New to Python and understanding problem

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sat Feb 3 06:00:34 EST 2018

On 2018-01-29 19:14:57 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2018-01-29 hackte Dan Stromberg in die Tasten:
> > I don't see blueman on pypi, so this is probably part of the package
> > you downloaded, and not something you need to "pip3 install".
>
> I have Python 2.7 and 3.5 from the Debian GNU/Linux repository installed
> I use the Stable (Stretch) version.
>
> Installing blueman 2.0.4 (for Python 2.7) ended with a SEGFAULT.

How did you install this? When I install blueman-2.0.4-1 from the Debian
Stretch (i386) apt repository, it uses Python3:

hjp      16620  2.0  0.5 110192 44316 pts/24   Sl+  11:40   0:00 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/blueman-applet

And it seems to work (the icon shows up in the task bar and I can open
the menu. I don't have any bluetooth hardware on my desktop, so I can't
test that).

A segfault is probably caused by a library, not by Python. If you got
blueman from the Debian repository, report the problem at
https://bugs.debian.org

> Hence I downloaded the sources 2.1~alpha2 from the Experimantal Mirror,
> comiled and packed it as Backport.
>
> Anything went fine, except, if I execute /usr/bin/blueman-applet it
> does not find the path to blueman which is in
>
>     /usr/lib/python-3.5/site-packages
>
> as subdirectory "bluman".

This looks like a packaging error. AFAICS python3 packages on Debian are
normally installed directly under /usr/lib/python3.5, not under
/usr/lib/python-3.5/site-packages or /usr/lib/python-3.5/dist-packages
(although the latter is on sys.path). Unless you have modified this
yourself, please report it to Debian.

        hp