polar coordinates?

Vlastimil Brom vlastimil.brom at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 16:35:04 EST 2018

> I have been messing with a program that is inspried by a video on
> youtube that is about the vizualization of pi.  I might make a post
> about that program someday, but I want to talk about something else.
> One of the ways of visualizing it is to put dots corresponding to each
> digits in a spiral pattern, in a color corresponding to what the digit
> is. I think this would be easiest, at least in the initial calculation
> of the point would be to use polar coordinates.
>
> For example, if I were to use a very simple archimedian spiral, r = 0 +
> (1 x theta), the "first 4" points, if theta increases by 1 degree
> (2pi/360 radians), are (0,0) (2pi/360 "units",2pi/360"radians")
> (4pi/360, 4pi/360) (6pi/360,6pi/360).
>
> The problem is that python (more specifically tkinter or graphics.py
> file that I downloaded) can't use polar coordinates directly to plot
> points (or at least I don't think they can).

[...]
> I guess my question is if python can do this natively or if there is a
> package somewhere (polar.py?) that can do this. I know there are some
> functions in cmath? that can help with parts of this, but I don't think
> that python can do all of these things natively.  If there is a package
> (or include file) that can do all of these things, I have not been able
> to find it.

[...]
> Brian Christiansen
> --

Hi,
there were already some hints regarding the calculations;
I'd like to suggest some dedicated plotting library, if you have
special needs in this area.
E.g. matplotlib is very useful and well documented in my opinion,

cf.:
https://matplotlib.org/

for plotting using the polar projection:
https://matplotlib.org/gallery/pie_and_polar_charts/polar_demo.html#sphx-glr-gallery-pie-and-polar-charts-polar-demo-py

hth,
  vbr