Python scripting as side job

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Tue Sep 26 09:51:46 EDT 2017

On 2017-09-26, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:51 PM, gvim <gvimrc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone had any success using Python scripting to automate
>> processes for small businesses as a side job? I'd like to use
>> my Python skills to supplement my income with about 4 hours'
>> work a week.
>
> Python scripting for automation is definitely a useful skill,
> but it's usually best done by someone inside the business. Part
> of the value of Python compared to "old-school" languages like
> COBOL is that you don't need to be a dedicated Computer
> Programmer???; instead, the work of automating daily processes
> can be done by the exact people whose daily processes are being
> automated. While it's still certainly possible to do contract
> work like you suggest, it tends to be more efficient to teach
> Python to the right people - maybe that would be a more
> productive use of your time? Obviously that's a somewhat
> different skill, but there's the whole "feed him for a
> lifetime" thing too.

I use dozens of Python scripts to help manage financial aid in my
job. It would probably take a similar effort to teach a Python
programmer financial aid rules than for a financial aid
administrator with some aptitude to learn to use Python.

There are plenty of little scripting jobs that don't require much
beyond but the ability understand a file spec, at least on one
side of the pipeline. Some experience in the industry you want to
script for will really be required, even in such simple cases.

--
Neil Cerutti